Summer Undergraduate Research Experience in

Physics at the University of Michigan (REU)

We are accepting  applications for the summer 2024 program in residence at the Ann Arbor campus.  

APPLY HERE 

The University of Michigan Physics Department Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates Program (REU) in Physics provides selected undergraduate students** an opportunity to conduct ten weeks of summer research with leading physicists in a range of experimental physics fields.  The program is supported by the NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates Program.  REU students have the opportunity to participate in laser and radiation safety training classes and a specially designed instrumentation shop class that provides training in the use of machining tools.  The 2024 Summer REU Program at the University of Michigan will run from June 3, 2024 to August 9, 2024

Active REU research areas in Physics at Michigan include:

To view example projects at the University of Michigan, please click here.  The actual projects are defined by matching the interest of the student to a faculty member, and is based on the background of the student and the needs of the research program.  So, rather than providing a menu of projects to choose from we ask for information from the student to help create an appropriate project.

Applications for summer 2024 are now open.   Applicants are required to send transcripts, 2 letters of recommendation, and fill out the online application. An Application Guide is available for downloading. For full consideration, applications should have been received by Friday, February 2, 2024. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and students with outstanding applications may be admitted earlier.  Applications received after the deadline will also be considered up until the time the program is filled.  By agreement among the Physics REU sites directors, students who are offered REU positions will have at least until March 8, 2024 to decide whether to accept or decline first round offers. Sites may tender offers to students at any time before this, but students will not be required to decide before this common date.

**Please note: Our funding only allows for us to fund US citizens. Support can be granted to permanent residents with the proper documentation. Students from University of Michigan are not eligible.

Students who are selected to participate in the program will receive:

Previous students have stated:

" This program was an incredible opportunity!  I learned a great deal, and I was able to go deeper into my research and I'd ever been able to before, all the while having an extremely fun and rewarding summer."  - Roderick Cochran, Summer 2017

" The REU program was a great experience that challenged me to learn a lot, try a new area of physics, and prepare for applying to graduate school! The mentorship I received was incredible, and I liked the environment with the other REU students and in my lab group. In both aspects, there was a very collaborative attitude which was fantastic!  " - Carolyn Gee, Summer 2015

"This program expanded my worldview of what opportunities are possible in the diverse field of physics.  The research environment at institutions like UMich with 'very high research' activity is radically different!  I was blown away by the magnitude of their facilities and resources, and vast network of collaborators from all parts of the world on various projects.  After spending a summer here, I'm more committed to applying to graduate school, involving myself in research at my home institution, and continuing to do well in my classes." -Katherine De Los Santos, Summer 2014  

"I had no previous experience and no definite plans for after my undergraduate education. By the end of the REU I felt much more prepared to make a judgement about research, graduate school, and potential fields of study. I got to interact with professional research physicists and undergraduate and graduate students, and (via a trip to Fermilab) experience the world of collaborative international research. Being from a small, liberal arts college, the summer was essential to forming my views about research after college." -Margaret Huff, Summer 2014

"The REU program at the University of Michigan will challenge you in genuine and meaningful ways with excellent research opportunities. I went into this program with some uncertainty regarding my ability to participate in research, but this program taught me that I can thrive in a research environment and gave me a solid idea of the nature of graduate school. In addition, the directors do a wonderful job of coordinating interesting group outing and talks and  of making all of the REU students feel at home. If you are passionate about physics, there could not be a better way to spend your summer. I recommend this program to the utmost extent." - Hayden Nunley, Summer 2014